Summer holidays are a time to relax and unwind, but if you’re trying to sell your home, it’s essential to keep it presentable and ready for potential viewings even when you’re away. Maintaining a well-prepared home can significantly impact potential buyers’ impressions and increase the chances of a successful sale. On the Bromley Property Company blog, we share some practical tips on how to keep your home ready for viewings while you’re enjoying your summer holiday.
- Enlist the Help of a Trusted Neighbour or Friend: Before you leave for your holiday, inform a trustworthy neighbour or a close friend about your home being on the market. Ask them if they would be willing to keep an eye on the property and help with any last-minute tasks, such as collecting mail or watering plants. Having a reliable contact nearby can be invaluable in ensuring your home remains presentable during your absence.
- Declutter and Organise Before You Leave: Before you head off on your holiday, make sure to declutter and organise your home thoroughly. Put away personal items, excess furniture, and any unnecessary clutter that might distract potential buyers. A tidy and spacious home allows viewers to envision the space better and visualise their own belongings in it.
- Hire a Professional Cleaner: Consider hiring a professional cleaning service to perform a deep clean of your home before your departure. A spotless and fresh-smelling home will leave a lasting positive impression on potential buyers. Additionally, request the cleaning service to return for touch-ups periodically while you’re away, ensuring your home remains in top condition.
- Maintain the Garden and Exterior: Kerb appeal plays a crucial role in attracting potential buyers. Before you leave, tend to the garden and the exterior of your property. Mow the lawn, trim bushes, and weed the flowerbeds to maintain an inviting and well-kept outdoor space. If necessary, consider hiring a gardener to tend to the garden during your absence.
- Set Up Automatic Timers for Lighting: An empty home can appear uninviting, so consider setting up automatic timers for interior and exterior lights. This creates the illusion of an occupied home and provides a sense of security. Programmable timers can be set to turn on and off at specific intervals, giving the impression that someone is present.
- Ensure Adequate Home Security: To further enhance the security of your home during your absence, install a reliable home security system or update the existing one. Make sure it includes features like motion-sensor lights, CCTV cameras, and a monitored alarm system. Display a security sign prominently to deter any potential intruders.
- Leave Contact Information for Your Estate Agent: Provide your estate agent’s contact information to the neighbour or friend who is assisting you during your holiday. This way, if there are any inquiries or viewing requests, they can be directed to the agent promptly, ensuring potential buyers are attended to professionally.
Keeping your home ready for viewings while you’re away on holiday requires a little planning and assistance, but it’s worth the effort to ensure a successful sale. By enlisting the help of a trusted neighbour, decluttering before you leave, and arranging for professional cleaning and garden maintenance, you can maintain a welcoming and appealing home for potential buyers. Additionally, investing in home security and setting up automatic timers for lighting will provide peace of mind and enhance the overall presentation of your property. So, enjoy your summer holiday, knowing that your home is being well-cared-for and ready to impress potential buyers when they visit.
See some more of our blogs, news and property advice here